For my very first assignment for Martin Draax his lessons, we had to interview a classmate who we did not like at all. But since there's no one I don't like, I instantly looked for someone who I did not know very well.

It didn't take very long before I interviewed Alicia. She's one of the German students who follow their education here in Holland.

We started our interview with some general questions, but as soon as we talked about our family I immediately found out we had something in common. It turned out that Alicia lost her father when she was 9 year's old. Her father suffered from cancer and didn't make it.

I myself have experienced almost the same thing. When I was 6 year's old I lost my brother who also died from cancer just before his 7th birthday. Because of this we really understand each other how it is to experience such awful events.

Although it's never really possible to achieve, I really wanted to give the viewer an idea of how someone feels when losing a loved one. Not only is the event itself really shocking and terrible to experience, but when life continues, I for example felt really lonely and the most terrible feeling is and will always be to miss someone.

In my illustration I visualised this by creating a dark room with a small opening with a ladder that is impossible to reach. I made this even more clear by using an extremely steep perspective point. Because you always miss the person you lost, but you can never get them back. So in my opinion I created this experience quite well.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog